Saturday, September 21, 2019

Exciting start to the year

It has been a busy start to the school year.  I have 3 freshmen geography classes, 2 US History courses, and 2 students doing GIS independent studies.  I am also trying to get a mapping club going as well.  Oh and the 2 technology graduate classes I am taking.  Also my 4 year old is playing soccer.  So if that doesn't sound crazy enough a couple weeks ago I got an email inviting me to Washington DC to the National Geographic Education Summit.

Now I am a National Geographic Certified teacher and a Phase 1 certification trainer (you want to go through it come to the Maine Council for the Social Studies annual conference I am running a session), but I never expected to get an invitation to a conference where airfare and lodging are completely paid for.  I went through the nightmarish process of requesting the days off on the new system we have this year (that's a story for another time) and got them approved and then I got an email from National Geographic asking if I would be willing to be a co-presenter for a session on GIS at the Summit.

Okay let me recap- I am being asked to present at National Geographic!!!!!!!!! I am screaming on the inside.  I was recommended personally by my idol, Charlie Fitzpatrick, who is the Esri Education Manager (dream job).  So I'm freaking out a little bit.  I've been going over my presentation and over and over and meeting virtually with my teammates.

So needless to say things are crazy but so so exciting.  I have a dream of being chosen for the National Geographic Grosvenor Fellowship this year and this is going to look great on my application.

I plan to do some live tweeting on my trip so stay tuned for that.  Wish me luck.
Wheels up in 12 days!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Mental health and our students

This blog post  has nothing to do with maps but a more serious topic of mental health in our country. So I have two step sons, one is 16 a...